Thursday, October 22, 2009

To Vaccinate or Not To Vaccinate

This is indeed the question of the hour. The Husband has already decided that he will opt out of the H1N1 aka swine flu vaccine. According to our local paper, he does not fit the "at-risk groups" profile. Just in case you don't know what the groups are:

  • Children and young adults 6 months to 24 years old, especially those with chronic health issues.
  • Pregnant women
  • People who live with or care for children younger than 6 months old
  • People 25-64 with chronic health problems
  • Health care workers
The Husband's profession, doesn't really put him around any of the risk groups either. I on the other hand work daily with gross, germy college students. But, I still don't think I am going to get the vaccine. We are generally a healthy family. Our kids are sick maybe once or twice a year. In my mind, I am trying to figure out the risks of the vaccination (which hasn't been thoroughly tested) versus the risks/chance of getting the flu. Plus, on NPR this morning, they were saying that they estimated having 120 million doses ready by the end of October, but not all the vaccine took, so it looks like there will only by 30 million. By me taking the vaccine, I am taking away one from an asthmatic child who is clearly more at risk than I am. What to do, what to do?

No comments:

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google