Thursday, April 5, 2007

Insatiable Hunger?

I once heard that a small child should eat meals that equal the size of his or her fist. That "expert" clearly hasn't met the growing child that lives in my house whose insatiable appetite rivels that of four or five adults. This morning I could not fathom how the boy could want so much to eat. Keep in mind that he eats breakfast at 8:30 AM when they serve it at the daycare as well and, he normally doesn't get breakfast at home. But, when your son wakes up saying "I hungry, french toast please" what are you going to do, not feed him? His initial breakfast menu this morning consisted of two french toast sticks and milk.

Nicholas likes to help his daddy make lunches in the morning. During the "help" session, Nicholas had 1/2 piece of bread with jelly, a small piece of cheese, a small piece of ham and a carrot. You must be thinking this kid's fist must be HUGE, not the case...he has a fist the size of any normal two-year old. After the lunch making concluded, my hubby decided it was his turn to eat breakfast. Of course, Nicholas wanted cereal too. Husband told him no, no more food for him. (Enter falling on the floor tantrum with cries of "I so hungry daddy!") Husband then began to review what The Boy had already eaten (see above) with our dear son. With complete seriousness, The Boy looks back up to daddy and says, "But the carrot in the trash." Yes, folks he only ate HALF the carrot and threw the rest of it in the trash. Silly us for thinking that the buffet he ate this morning wouldn't fill him up.

His requests didn't end there. As I came out of the bathroom, ready to go out the door to our various daytime homes, The Boy approached me with a small cup and a straw, "I need smoothie, Momma." He needs a smoothie...where to even begin. Needless to say, no smoothie was given and even though I know there is no humanly possible way the child went to school hungry or if he did that he would stay hungry, I wondered all morning, what if he really was starving and I deprived him of the nutrition he so desparately needed?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Kaden has been on an eating frenzy this week too!

Those boys!!

Happy Easter, Jess. Give the boys a hug for me.

Anonymous said...

Well what's a growing boy supposed to do? And you gave him a carrot when he could have a smoothie??? What were you thinking mommy? Go Nicholas!

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google