Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Montessori Gives You Morey!

Yeah, I know the title is a little hokey, but I am working on it. Yesterday, The Husband and I decided to put the boy in Montessori preschool. Crazy. After much contempation last night I found myself thinking "Are we those parents?" You know the type...progressive, giving too much freedom to your kids parents.

I realized that it isn't about that, it is more about what you want for your child. As a mommy that has to work, it hurts me a little each day to think that I can't control (opposite of giving too much freedom, boy am I a contradiction) what enters little The Boy's world each day. I have had to suck it up and deflate my motherly instinct for the "American Dream" of a house and food and clothing, etc. by going to work 9 hours a day. I think this dilemma exists for so many families. As a child I heard, go to college, get a great job, succeed, succeed, succeed and hey, don't forget to have a family that is all together wonderful and guided and again successful. I have come to understand that those two things (family and career) struggle to coexist together for me in a way that is close to completely fulfilling.

I have a wonderful husband who tries to empathize with my plight and is supportive and encouraging in ways that I know some husbands are not. He would stay home with The Boy if he could...still not sure what they would do all day, but hey dads do it. He is successful (and handsome if I say so myself), but not too the point that I cannot work, so where does that leave us? In a search to find a daily environment where The Boy can be cared for and nurtured the way I would want him to be. After much searching, Montessori seems to be the way to go. I walked into this little school environment and immediately fell in love. After The Boy toured the place today, he was in love too.

A few things did bug me a little...The Boy had to interview with the Montessori Director. Now, this was supposedly a formality, but I think it was a little too early for me to be having admittance anxiety...shouldn't that be reserved for college applications. The boy did great, he was so impressive and smart, but I still think in the back of my mind what if he hadn't been, would that have changed the exchanging of money for a space? Bringing me to the second thing, COST...whew! Husband and I talked about this aspect for a long time (don't most married couples do that?). When all is said and done, it isn't all that more expensive than what we pay now for Daycare. Those concerns aside, I feel comfortable and confident about our decision. So, it is off to Montessori we go, but not until August!

3 comments:

Beth Westbrook said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beth Westbrook said...

Good for you Jess! I loved my montesorri preschool and I bet Nicholas will love it too! Can't wait to talk to you and hear all about this new school.

Heather said...

Hi, Jess. Loved the article. Congrats on Montessori. Let me know how it goes. I've been thinking a lot myself that I need to start looking into daycare so Kaden can get some social interaction beyond grandparents.....

I really appreciate the way you depicted the struggle to be a good mom AND pay the bills. It's something I think about all the time, especially in a week when I had to mow the grass on Tuesday evening and then do conference calls on Wednesday and Thursday. Yes, I can take time off to make up for the conference calls but it's still something that gives me guilt.

Finally, I LOVE your blog. I visited 2 or 3 times yesterday looking for your latest post. I was so excited this morning to find the new post. I think you should definitely keep this up. It could really become an anchor for our circle to have "mom" conversations. It's like our own little version of Parenting magazine. Love it, love it, love it.

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google