Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Music Expresses That Which Cannot Be Put Into Word

On the way into work today, I was flipping through radio stations looking for one without commercials and heard the song "Brick House" by the Commodores. For those of you who know me well, you understand that music is important to me. I know the lyrics of almost every song I have ever heard. The play list in my head ranges from bands like Reel Big Fish to The Bread, and I am now well versed in today's most popular preschool music thanks to the Boy. I am not the biggest fan of country music, but still know the words to most country songs. Need Vacation Bible School songs, I am your girl. I am a walking MP3 player.

The great thing about music for me is that most songs are tied to people and/or memories. When I heard "Brick House" this morning, it made me think of one of my best friends instantly. Mandy and I have been friends for over 10 years (yikes) and "Brick House" always brings me back to our weekly outings to a dance club our freshman year of college. Mandy is also tied to "If You Think I am Sexy" by Rod Steward and "Peaches" by the Presidents of the United States of America. Both of those songs helped us get through an 8 AM biology class, Diversity of Organisms...our professor had a habit of bringing stuffed, as in taxidermied, animals to that class, just a little bit of random info for ya.

Other songs to note...

"Roxanne" by the Police = the Husband
"Witchy Woman" by the Eagles and anything by Stevie Nicks = my Dad
UofL Fight Song = My friend Beth...often in college she and another student would pretend to be UofL cheerleaders and were pretty darn good at it not to be on the squad.
"Hit Me Baby One More Time" by Britney Spears = my friend caela who was once dressed up by her staff as BS and for the fact that I received every BS CD courtesy of caela (I think I have some weird obsession with her...Britney Spears, that is, not caela.)
"Travelin' Soldier" by the Dixie Chicks = my friend in the Big D, Missy
"Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi = 5th grade crush Joey Stewart, my first couple skate partner...ahh young love.

Music helps me get through the day. Music has healed me. Music makes me laugh and cry. I am so glad I found it!

2 comments:

mevans said...

I also tie Roxanne to my husband! His freshmen year of college in Polland Hall at WKU, Mark used to sing Roxanne at the top of his lungs (off-key) in the community shower. NO ONE on the floor would take a shower at the same time as him! lol

I also remember listening to the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac with my dad on his record player. His record collection is mine someday!

Caela Simmons Wood said...

Ooh, I made your blog. I am SO famous! And, incidentally, so glad you're obsessed with Britney and not me. Wow, BTW, she is trashville lately. Makes me so sad. She used to be so amazingly wonderful and hot. :-( I'm glad I made your song list. I heard "Lucky" by Brit Brit yesterday while having lunch in Quiznos and thought of you and the joy we could have shared if only Britney hadn't had her "knee injury" (read: unexpected pregnancy) and we could have gone to her concert. Sigh.

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google