Friday, June 15, 2007

Momblocked

On the way into work today, my morning show was describing and taking calls about a new phenomenon called being momblocked. I had not heard of this term until today.

Basically the term was coined to describe what happens when children prefer daddy to mommy. This preference is happening more and more due to stay-at-home dads making a break on the scene. After listening to parents call in this morning and reading the article, I can't help but think we've got some whiny moms out there. I can say that because I am one of them sometimes. Overall, however, I think that it is great that we have entered a time where dads and moms work together, reverse roles (sometimes) and generally make a positive impact on their kids' lives.

I don't understand what the big fuss is about. Daddies around the world have been living with Mommies being the preferred caregiver for hundreds of years. Now, when we have entered into a world where it is acceptable for Dads to stay home and Moms to work, Moms are having fits over who they think their child likes best. I don't get it. Maybe it is because in our household, we both work. Should I then have a fear of being momblocked by our son's preschool teacher? Sure, I have fears of not spending enough time with the Boy, but I have never thought that he would ever like or prefer his teachers to me or to my husband.

Sure, there are times in our household when the Boy is drawn to one of us more than the other. Right now, I seem to be the only one who can do anything with the Boy...But, there have been many times when the Boy wanted nothing to do with me. I forsee this continuing to happen as I am female and the Boy is male and you are just naturally drawn to hang out with members of the same sex until puberty. I understand why the Boy chooses to hang out with or run to either Husband or me on a given day, why do other moms have to make such a big deal about it? Don't we already make ourselves feel guilty about enough without having to worry about when junior is going to Daddy for his boo boo instead of us?

1 comment:

Heather said...

I've missed reading your blog over the last week. Suppa Club sounds fun. I wish I were there or you were here!

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google