Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Public Displays of Craziness

Last Friday, I was in Target shopping (not sure for what I was shopping for, I just love Target) and was witness to an unfortunate incident that makes me question being part of the human race. It saddens me to think that mindsets like the following still exist and this display made me question if I think any of these things in my mind, but do not say them out loud which is just as bad.

I was looking through some toys trying to find something fun for a birthday present when a women and a grade schooler pushed by me shouting someone's name. I didn't think anything of it except that she didn't say excuse me as she pushed me out of the way. No big deal, since that happens all the time...shouldn't be acceptable, but I have gotten used to it and can't say for sure that I have never done it.

I get to the end of the long aisle...over by the food products section of the store and see a group of folks, Target Associates included, swarming a women holding a 3 year old. Now, in order to make the story more real for you, you have to know that the 3 year old was African American and the woman holding him was an older white woman. The Target Associates where on their walkie talkies saying they had a guest with a lost child. I put two and two together and mentioned that I saw a women in the toy section calling for someone, that woman is most likely the little boy's mother. Well, the boy and his mom are reunited. She hugs him and they start to go about their business. Here's where it gets a little ridiculous.

The older woman who found the child begins to publicly, after following the family through to front of the store, in the middle of the health and beauty aisle of Target, berate this young mom's parenting skills. She tells the young mom that she should take a parenting class and learn to watch her children. The young mom says, "Mind your own business." The older woman, "I would if I didn't have to watch out for your kid." The young mom, "I don't care, mind your %*$& business."

At this point, in front the the kids and everything, these women are in each other's face yelling at each other. The older woman makes many comments that are out of line as does the young mom. Everyone in the store is aware of their differences (ie, the color of their skin) and that they are not afraid of each other because they keep repeating "I'm not scared of you, bring it on." Finally they start to walk away from each other and the older woman (and her daughter) yell toward the young mom and her kids, "Trash!" As I walk toward the check out, I hear the young mom berating her 3 year old for walking away. She says, "You make white folks think they can tell us how to do things. You just wait until we get home."

I can say that I was honestly mortified by all the above behavior. As a mom, I would never approach someone to tell them how to parent in this situation. The older woman had no idea how the family became separated. The mom was looking for the little boy, she wasn't oblivious that he was not with her. Was it maybe not the best situation for her to be in, yes. Could someone have snatched that little boy, yes. But, that is not what happened. The other thing I don't understand is why race was brought into the situation. Any person, no matter their background, could have been in this situation. And, because race was brought into the equation, those two little boys will remember this situation as a race related incident and will have a jaded view of white women. And, the older woman has already instills this value system on to her children as was exhibited by the women's daughter joining in on the craziness. This is an example of how the troubles with race relations in this country are perpetuated. Both women are at fault. The entire situation keeps it real for me. It keeps my stereotypes and opinions in check. It helps me process how I should be behaving in front of my young son in public and behind closed doors.

Still crazy though!

No comments:

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google