Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Becoming Domesticated

When I was in the 7th grade I had to divide my school year between two classes of practicality, home ec and shop. Being the tomboy that I was, I much preferred wood shop. We spent time in home ec talking about cleaning, cooking and babysitting...things I already knew a lot about because of my family situation. The only thing I didn't know and ended up not liking was the sewing portion of the home ec class. I made a vest that while sewn, looked atrocious. Fast forward 17 years and here I am excited to spend 2 1/2 hours every Monday night for 5 weeks learning how to sew. Maybe if I had paid more attention in the 7th grade, I wouldn't feel so inept now.

I have to write that I am in love with my sewing class and with sewing in general. Last night I made a pillow sham in less than an hour. Maybe for most people this would be a walk in the park, but for me and my senseless need for perfection, it is awesome and I am sure I bugged the heck out of the instructor by asking her too many questions. But, I now know how to sew a straight seam, sew in a zipper and what a selvage is. It is a miracle. Now, I have to be sure that I practice and keep it up. Who would have ever thought that I would want to sew in my free time. It is nice to feel like I have accomplished something. I will never buy linens again.

Our next project in class is a vest. I'll let you know if it comes out better than the one in the 7th grade.

No comments:

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google