Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Interested in Anatomy

Recently, at my monthly Supper Club event, another mom and I were talking about the joys of boys, more specifically their interest in bodily functions and certain parts of their anatomy. It is always refreshing to hear that other moms are experiencing the same things when it comes to little boys and their penises.

In our house, we believe that The Boy should learn the correct names for parts of his anatomy. We don't and haven't ever called his penis a pee pee or any other variation of that word. When he asks why mommy doesn't have a penis, we tell him the truth. Momma is a girl and she has a vagina. That makes her different from a boy. I never really understood why we make up names for our genitalia, we don't make up names for other parts of our body. It isn't like people call their nose Sam or their leg Hop-a-long. So, The Boy has been calling his penis a penis for as long as he could say the word penis. The problem we are running into now is that we are having A LOT of discussions about penises. Should that be peni, I don't know the correct way to make penis plural. These discussions are an almost daily thing now.

Last night, after his bath, The Boy is running around naked. This is a ritual for him in our house. Last night he added a mantra and he ran around saying, "I am a naked boy, I am a naked boy!" While attempting to get him dressed, this is how the conversation went.

Momma: Are you a naked boy?
The Boy: No, now I am a naked girl.
Momma: You are a boy not a girl.
The Boy: No, I am a girl now, like you and Atty (our dog).
Momma: Well, you have a penis and girls do not.
The Boy: That's okay, I will take my penis off an put it in my pocket.

Wouldn't that be a fun trick?

No comments:

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google