Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Learning to Spell

Last night, I had to work a little late. The Boy called me at 5:30 PM asking me why do I have to work. It makes me sad to hear that, but he was very excited to hear that I would be home before he went to bed.

As I was driving home at 7:15 PM, I called home. The Boy got on the phone and was very excited that I was coming home. He had received his magazine in the mail. Our dear friends Beth and Jonathan gave him a subscription to High Five magazine for his birthday in January. This has been a great gift. Since The Boy is learning how to read (only certain words like dog, mommy, ball, etc.) this magazine has been a godsend. The Boy could hardly contain himself when he was talking to me about it on the phone. I had to read it with him as soon as I got home.

Now, High Five has a number of different features. One that has reached the top of the favorite list is the section entitled "How Silly!" The Boy loves this section and knows as soon as he sees the words to say "How Silly!" In an effort to utilize all those early childhood literacy classes I took with him, I decided to have him spell the words before he said them last night.

The Boy: H-O-W, How
Momma: That is correct, great job! No try the next word.
The Boy: S-I-Eleven-Y upside down i. Silly!

Can you really say that isn't right? I think not.

No comments:

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google