Monday, January 26, 2009

Basketballs and Bones

We had a very relaxed weekend. I have to say that is my favorite kind of weekend. Not too much running around and just hanging out with the family. The Boy started basketball this Saturday. While he doesn't seem to have much of a vertical yet, he sure does have the defense concept down.













We have been trying to satiate The Boy's incredible hunger for knowledge by having him pick topics he would like to learn about each week. He has a list of things like teeth, construction, the earth's rotation...etc., etc. This week, he wanted to learn about the skeletal system. Too bad our friend who is an orthopedic surgeon moved to Virginia for the year.

For each topic he wants to learn more about, I search for a book to read and a few activities to do related to the topic. This weekend we made a pretzel skeleton after learning about the major bones in the body. His favorites are the phalanges. We learned about the digestive system before Christmas...good thing I took Anatomy and Physiology in college. I worked hard for that B+. That knowledge is all being used for good now. I have to say, that pelvis looks great!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

After reading your blog last week, I talked about the skeleton with Luke and Evie. It was fun! Thanks for the idea. I don't know that I would have ever thought of that on my own. I'm not naturally inclined toward teaching.

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google