Thursday, January 8, 2009

My Child Did That?

We have had quite a week with The Boy and it is only Thursday. I am not sure what to do with him. During nap time at school on Tuesday, he took scissors and cut a chunk out of his hair and then yesterday, during nap time again, he shoved a bead up his nose. This behavior is so unlike him. I spent 20 minutes talking with his teacher yesterday and she made me so concerned that something is really wrong with him. The teacher also indicated that he isn't doing his work like she would like him to. He isn't working up to his potential. She is trying to get him to work on what the Kindergartners (5&6 year olds) are doing and he is more interested in what his peers (3 & 4 year olds) are doing.

The Husband and I talked to The Boy last night trying to get to the bottom of the issues. I was really wondering if something was happening at school that was making him act this way. It turns out he just doesn't want to take a nap, thus the acting out at nap time. He told us that it is hard for him to go to sleep at nap time. He gets too distracted and then he gets bored.

As for his work time, he has gained a clear understanding that he is being asked to do work that the older children are doing. While his peer group is still learning numbers 1-10, he is learning to count by 1000s. While his peers are still learning how to write the alphabet, he is already reading small books. He told us last night that he is not a Kindergartner, he is not event four yet. He has realized that his is different than those his same age. I really didn't think that he would notice a difference. We talked about why he is doing work for older kids. But, it is a hard conversation. What should you say? Hey kid, your really smart and those other kids are smart, but not as smart as you?

I am a worrier at heart. It is true. Calm on the outside, torn up on the inside...and I don't want him to feel isolated or weird just because he seems to be a little advanced. I want him to healthily embrace that difference and run with it. I want him to have a healthy sense of self. And, I never thought I would be having these types of conversations with an almost 4 year old. We strategized last night and came up with a plan of action for The Boy while at school. We will see if it works today. Here's hoping he has all his apendages and hasn't altered his body in any way by the time I pick him up this afternoon.

No comments:

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google