Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Crazy Tantrum

My child was replaced by another at approximately 6 PM yesterday. We have been very blessed to have two children who are pretty well behaved. The Boy listens and is respectful and The Girl is just laid back. But, last night, The Boy had a tantrum of the highest caliber while we were sitting at the dinner table. I made something new for dinner, hominy. This is not a typical dinner item at my house these days, but it was when I was growing up, so I thought I would see if my family would like it.

We have a rule at our house...whenever a new food item is introduced, everyone has to at least try it. Trying it means you have to put it in your mouth, chew it and swallow it. I know, I am a dictator. But, I will say this has worked out for our family so far. My kid eats more things than any other kid I know. He likes artichokes for heaven's sake. When I put the hominy on his plate and introduced it, he made a face. I reminded him of the rule and he begrudgingly put a piece of hominy in his mouth and followed that up by spitting it out in his hand. This was followed by a little bit of a melt down and inappropriate behavior for which he was sent to his room. He continued to scream for approximately five minutes, I DON"T LIKE IT, I DON'T LIKE IT, etc. etc. When that didn't get a reaction, the mantra turned to I DON'T LIKE MOMMA, I DON'T LIKE MOMMA. I knew this would eventually happen, I would become the world's most notorious evil-doer, but it didn't hurt my feelings too much. Comes with the territory I guess.

The Husband finally went in to talk to The Boy after a few more minutes of screaming. It was suddenly quiet and the stomping of little feet was heard in the hallway. The Boy sat back in his seat, whole heartedly apologized for his tantrum and then took a bit of the hominy. He looks up at me and says...

I don't know why I had a silly tantrum, this is really good, can I have some more?

1 comment:

Theresa said...

At least he was polite in the end. We pretty much never get past the tantrum.

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google