Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Taking the Plunge

I am making a switch, one that I am very nervous about. This working momma is getting ready to become a stay at home momma in about 10 days. This is a decision I have been wrestling with for about 6 months. When The Husband landed his new job in December, we were finally in a place where my working wasn’t a necessity. We took a minute to thank God for our blessings and then began discussions about what this might mean for our family.

I have not, by choice, been unemployed since I turned 16 years old. I have ALWAYS had to work and most of the time, have WANTED to work. I worked in high school so I could pay for my co-curricular activities and clothes for school. I worked in college to pay for groceries and housing, every day necessities. I worked during Grad School to pay for my wedding and life. I worked while The Husband was attending Law School, remaining the sole means of income for three years. I have worked and loved being an independent, well educated, hardworking woman.

When our children entered the picture five years ago, I did question my employment initially, but never too seriously because I needed to work. I can honestly say that I never thought I would ever want to be a full-time, stay at home mom. I wanted to show my children that a woman can do both and do both well. I think I have done both well, but when things started to get less than fun in my job, I started taking a harder look a why I was working. The benefits of working for me at this point were just a few extra hundred dollars in the bank a month. SO NOT WORTH IT!

The Boy is extremely excited about the change. He cannot wait and has already planned out the entire summer. We are booked until he starts kindergarten (we still don’t know where, yikes!) in August. Yesterday, I had a minor panic moment about staying home. I really thought I would never be able to do this or have the opportunity to, and yet here it is before me. My emotions are mixed. For my sanity, I couldn’t stay working where I was and I know my kiddos are going to benefit immensely from me being home, but what if I lose myself in the process of taking care of them.

I am sure there is more to come when the transition actually begins. Until then, I need a new title for the Blog.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! I think this will be wonderful for you, the children, and the Husband. Keep me updated. I want to hear all about it. I know you're going to love every minute!

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google