Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

I have heard that many people believe Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparent's Day, etc. are ploys of the card companies to make money. I think I used to believe that to be partially true too, but after this Mother's Day, I say keep it coming.

The Boy has gotten to a developmental point where he understands celebrations. Birthday parties are especially exciting for him to the point where he asks weekly whose b-day party he is going to on Saturday. I wasn't expecting a lot of hoopla from him specifically this weekend in regards to Mom's Day, but I was wrong. He was totally into it.

When I picked him up from school of Friday, he was so excited about the present he made for me. It was a lovely flower pot with a pansy planted in it. He wanted to show it to me as soon as I walked into the door. "I made you present!," he said over and over. It was very cute, but still no mention of why he made me a present. I had to work most of the morning and afternoon on Saturday. When I got home and the Boy woke up from his nap, he kept talking to me about painting. I wasn't what he was talking about, but he was adamant about paint. I thought he wanted to paint and he didn't. I was oblivious and confused.

So, imagine my surprise on Sunday morning, Mother's Day when the Boy walked into the bedroom where I was still sleeping at 7:30 AM (thank you husband!) carrying a gift bag and a piece of yellow construction paper. The Boy screams, "Happy Mother's Day! Open the present." He was so excited and full of I Love Yous. The card was homemade, he even attempted to write his name. And, the present was beautiful. The Boy (with help) made me a picture frame. The picture inside is one of the two of us at bedtime reading a book. The Boy painted the matte inside the frame. It is great. The best gifts, however, were the hugs and kisses, the I love yous and the repeated Happy Mother's Days. I love it.

The great thing is that none of the sentiment or gifts were expensive or commercialized versions of the day to honor a mom. Who needs the card companies, when you have finger paints and construction paper?

No comments:

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google