Thursday, July 10, 2008

Are We CRAZY?

After this morning's long attempt to get everyone out of the house to work and daycare, I am seriously wondering if we are totally crazy to be adding another wee person to the mix. The Boy is usually a very good listener, but lately he has been having problems. Terrible Twos never happened for us, but I am beginning to believe all the hype that three is so much worse than two.

We have been working with The Boy on choices. When we have asked him to do something and he hasn't made the effort to do it, we give him two choices. One choice involves what we are asking him to do the other involves time out, the taking away of a toy, etc. Clear choices, right? The problem with this now is The Boy is too smart for his own good. This is our conversation this morning...

Daddy: You need to come brush your teeth.
The Boy: I don't want to brush my teeth.
Daddy: You don't have that option, come brush your teeth.
The Boy: I want something else to eat before I brush my teeth, then I will brush my teeth. That is how I am going to do it.

I have no part in the conversation so far, as I am attempting to get ready for work. In the midst of my ironing, in walks The Boy. Daddy comes in shortly after he has entered our bedroom.

The Boy: Mommy, I don't want to brush my teeth.
Daddy: We don't go to Mommy if Daddy says to do something, you should do it. Mommy is going to tell you the same thing I told you.
The Boy (ignoring Daddy): But, Mommy, I want to tell you something. (Holding two fingers in the air) These are my choices. I want the number two choice. One, brush my teeth, two eat something else first. What do you think?

Well, as you could imagine, I tell him the same thing The Husband told him. A fit ensues. Crying, whining, etc. etc. Then he "hurt" his toe needing ice. More crying. It was absolutely ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that there are parents out there that deal with this type of behavior everyday of their lives. We are lucky we don't have that issue, but when it does happen, it makes me want to pull all of my hair out and give my child to the circus (just kidding, somewhat). What will life be like with two? Time will only tell. We may never get to work or school again.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I think we all have days like this and they truly drive me crazy. Luke actually got worse about this stuff when he got older. Evie is still pretty easy about doing what she is told. Luke, however, has figured out that he can get away with not doing stuff right away. It totally hacks me off that he knows he can do this. Shouldn't he just be afraid of me after I tell him to do it once? Am I the woosey mom that I see in the grocery store who can't control her child?

Hubs is right about kid #2 - it really will work itself out.

Christmas 2009

Google Search

Google